Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Just Like (Someone else's) Mom...

I have an ex who once told me, "The only reason you like going to restaurants is that you get all the mothering that you never got from your mom!"

It was those kind of sudden psych evaluations which ruined our sex life. That said, I think she has a point. The unconditional joy and warmth you get from a stranger who asks no more than decent financial compensation, is a bit addictive.

This brings to mind a waitresscrush I used to have named Sarah. To be served by Sarah was to love Sarah. She was the St Pauli girl blended with the archetypal Southern belle. She would always greet you with a BIG smile and a warm "How y'all doin?", forcing you to put down whatever grief or anger you came in with, at least for a moment, so that you could remember what it was like to participate in civilized behavior.

Now I can't speak for everyone, but it seemed to me that Sarah had decided that all customers are coming into her home so she had to take care of them like family or at least a gentleman caller. She knew who you were, she knew what you liked eating and why. She knew the names of your children, your spouse and/or lover, and would make sure that you looked good in front of them.

But she was not really, what you call, motherly. While it is possible I just missed these days, I am not sure I ever saw her wear something that could be called frumpy. I never heard her complain about not getting tipped and I can't help but think the St Pauli girl tops helped. But the thing is she wasn't really being...sexy. She was kinda like Ellie Mae Clampett in that regard.

Having a meal with Sarah was like going on a date with the nice librarian your mom set you up with. I kinda think that is the ultimate way to have a meal at a restaurant. Welcomed, a little pampered and you leave thinking "I wouldn't mind seeing her again maybe with my mom".

Then the next day you are eating at that crazy place with the drinking and dancing, that you would never go to with your mom.

No comments: